Do Better: “Back-to-School Breakfast”
Soul Food Love co-author Caroline Randall Williams with back-to-school breakfast tips
Want to start the school day with a hot breakfast? Soul Food Love co-author Caroline Randall Williams has an easy recipe perfect for busy mornings.
Soul Food Love Breakfast Casserole
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 large leeks, white and light green parts, chopped and well rinsed
- 2 cups cottage cheese 4 ounces
- ½ cup fresh goat cheese
- 4 cups tightly packed chopped fresh spinach
- 1 quart egg whites (from about 16 large eggs), lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, mix the oregano, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add the turkey and mix with a spatula or your hands.
- Slick a large skillet with the olive oil and heat it over medium heat.
- Add the turkey mixture and cook until the meat is no longer pink, and a meat thermometer reads 165 ° F, about 7 minutes.
- Add the leeks and cook for another minute; then add the cottage cheese and goat cheese.
- Keep cooking and stirring over low heat until the goat cheese just begins to melt.
- Pour the turkey mixture into a 9 × 13-inch baking dish.
- Spread the spinach on top, and then pour in the egg whites. Use a spatula to make sure the egg whites are distributed evenly in the dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F. 5 Bake the casserole until a knife stuck into the center comes out clean; about 60 minutes. Serve hot.
Check out Caroline’s other healthy-eating tips on the Bridge.